My Other Blogs

Labels

Monday, April 13, 2009
I found this picture (wisegeorge took the photo) and it reminded me of Jim Green. Jim was a true South Austinite. He was a good businessman but he had electic ways. This old shop just up the hill on South Lamar from our shop has had many reincarnations. But it has always been an automotive repair shop.



After Jim closed this shop, he and a lady named Gertrude opened a pizza restaurant out in Oak Hill in the Albertson's Shopping Center (the Albertsons is now closed). I have got to say that this was some of the best pizza I ever ate in my life. It was there for a long time until Mr. Gatti's decided to open their first GattiTown in the same shopping center. It spelled the end of Gertrudes.


Wisegeorge is doing a great job documenting the real Austin. I wish that you would visit his blog at www.wisegeorge.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I loved Gertrudes. I remember going there with my parents and signing Karoke. It had the best pizza and root beer. I wish it were still there. Was sad to see it go. I think it could have outlasted Gatti's the pizza was much better and it was a family owned place. Thanks for reminding me of a place that I was fond of.

Unknown said...

Got to tell you that Jim Green is alive and well.