My Other Blogs

Labels

Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Well, most people think that the charm of South Austin started with the Armidillo World Headquarters. There might be something to that. It was located just behind the area of the current Threadgills. Willie, Waylon and the Outlaws started it and every popular singer at the time showed up at the Armidillo. It was in the seventies and quite weird. The bikers, cowboys and the hippies all went to the Armidillo and got along quite well. The Armidillo was in an old qlansit hut building used previously by the military. My dad's shop was next to the Threadgills location in the 60's. At that time it was the location of the Squirrell's Inn, a beer joint. I remember it was green in color and my dad used to go there and have a few after work. I spent many hours there. Next to it was a Mexican Beer Joint that I don't remember the name of. Across Riverside was the Big Bear Food Mart.
I took my wife on our first date to the Armidillo to see Tom T. Hall. After the Squirrell's Inn was torn down they built the Marimont Cafeteria. This is the building that now houses Threadgills. WiseGeorge shot the video that follows. I have talked to him and he has tried to film most of South Austin, so I will probably use a lot of his videos to tell about South Austin.

Enjoy the film of Threadgills.


flash2pic

0 comments: